Velden am Wörthersee is a market town in Villach-Land District, in the Austrian state of Carinthia. Situated at the western shore of the Wörthersee lake, it is one of the country's most popular holiday resorts. The municipal area of Velden also includes the Katastralgemeinden of Augsdorf, Dieschitz, Duel, Kerschdorf ob Velden, Köstenberg, Latschach an der Drau, Lind ob Velden and Sankt Egyden.
Originally a mansio at the Roman road between Villach (Sanctium) and Virunum, it was first mentioned in a 1263 deed as Campus (field, pasture - German: Feld) and in 1410 as Velben. In medieval times it belonged to the estates of Hohenwart Castle, seat of the Counts of Celje, the Counts of Ortenburg, the Knightly Order of Saint George in Millstatt Abbey and finally the Austrian House of Habsburg.