Gustav-Mahler.eu

Grand Hotel Central on the Lange Poten in The Hague was a hotel from 1920 and is now part of the Second-Chamber building (Nieuwspoort).

In 1880 a hotel and Grand Café du Passage built in neo-Renaissance style with a covered shopping passage with terraced tables on both sides. In 1885, the Hague Passage was built and the name of the hotel was changed to Hotel Central, possibly to avoid confusion. The passage was two stories high and had a glass roof. In 1911, after a renovation, the tables were taken away and a cafe entered.

The Zuid-Hollandsche Bierbrouwerij (ZHB) was the owner of the hotel when the ZHB took over House of Lords in 1906 and started using it as a branch of the hotel. It was the first building in The Hague where concrete was used for the construction, which actually only stood out when a new wardrobe had to be made at the breakthrough to the House of Lords. The passage was demolished again in 1915.

The hotel had a shuttle service for its guests to the Staatspoor with its own omnibus.

Grand Hotel Central.

1937. Grand Hotel Central, restaurant.

1937. Grand Hotel Central, lounge amd terrace.

1937. Grand Hotel Central, menu.

1939. Alma Maria Rose (1906-1944) in Grand Hotel Central, program. With the Wiener Walzermadel.

1939. Alma Maria Rose (1906-1944) in Grand Hotel Central, program. With the Wiener Walzermadel.

1939. Alma Maria Rose (1906-1944) in Grand Hotel Central, program. With the Wiener Walzermadel.

1939. Grand Hotel Central and its surroundings in in a bird's-eye view (photo K.L.M., Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij, Royal Dutch Airlines).

1940. Grand Hotel Central.

Grand Hotel Central, luggage tag.

Grand Hotel Central.

Grand Hotel Central.

Grand Hotel Central.

Share this article with:

Submit to FacebookSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn