- Address: Adam-Mickiewicz Square between the streets Prospect Shevchenko and Wul. Mykoly Woronoho.
- Year 1903. 30-03-1903.
- Year 1903. 31-03-1903 Letter to Alma Mahler (1879-1964).
- Year 1903. 01-04-1903 Letter to Alma Mahler (1879-1964).
- Year 1903. 02-04-1903 Letter to Alma Mahler (1879-1964).
- Year 1903. 03-04-1903 Letter to Alma Mahler (1879-1964).
- Year 1903.
The historicist style mix of today's four-storey building, with its dominant renaissance, some Jugendstil elements and a mansard roof, which is oriented to the French Stadthotel architecture of the 17th century, was reinforced by several conversions. In the niches of the side facades are sculptures of the four continents, a work by Leonard Marconi and Antoni Popiel. The main façade shows a flat relief of St. Georg, the author of the hotel, in the attic above the middle riser. It is a work by Antoni Popiel.
George Hotel is an elegant architectural monument dating back to the times of the Austrian-Hungarian monarchy. Wide stairs still remember the gorgeousness of that world. This hotel was always distinguished by the refinement of architectural solutions and design of the interior, lobby, corridors and staircases, which impress by their greatness and spaciousness. Being proud of its aristocratic sophistication, George Hotel kindly invites guests. The hotel guests get an opportunity to fully feel the charm of the romantic city.
In the middle of the 17th century there was a sluice, regulating water flow from the Poltva River, on the place of modern George Hotel. The best Galician restaurant “Under Three Hooks” was located here. In 1793 its owners decided to rebuild it fundamentally and open a new hotel. Three years later "De La Rus" hotel was built, which got its name due to being the main coaching inn for all the travellers from all over the world.
As early as 1793 a hotel was built on the property, called "Three hooks". In 1811 it was replaced by a new building under the name "Hotel de Russie". The three-storey building with two entrances was decorated with Empire reliefs. From the Chorazczyzna street (today Tchaikovsky Str.) Was a large garden with gardening. The hotel was taken over in 1816 by the Lemberger merchant, Georg Hofmann (1778-1839) and named after the first name of the new owner. The hotel was demolished in 1899. Before, in 1888 the architect Alfred Kamienobrodzki from Lvov designed a new three-storey hotel building, but it was not built.
Owner of “De La Rus” hotel, George Hoffmann, a businessman and landlord, native of Bavaria, laid out a beautiful garden; the hotel had two entrance gates from the direction of the central square.
Hoffmann could offer his customers not only exquisite dishes and beverages, but also comfortable rooms, concerts, entertainments, fireworks.
In 1875 architect Edmund Keler erected a theater hall in the garden for the German society “Frozinn”, where various carnivals, exhibitions and meetings, expositions of works of art took place. Decorated pavilions and pergolas in the form of antique temple could be found by the river.
There is a picture of Franz Kowalischyn and some photographs, one of which shows the demolition of the old building in April 1899. The new hotel building was built between 1899 and 1901 according to the plans of the Viennese architect team Fellner & Helmer, with the participation of Lvov architects Ivan Lewinski and Julian Cybulski.
Later, in the middle of the 19th century, the hotel was called “George” after the name of its founder. Founded in 1901 by prominent Austrian architects Herman Helmer and Ferdinand Felner in a style of Neo-Renaissance.
The hotel was officially opened on 8 January 1901. It included 93 rooms at the time, including 32 luxury class apartments. The hotel was built in 1906 by two storeys according to plans by Jan Lewinski. From 1910 to 1912, Alfred Altenberg's bookstore was located on the ground floor.
From 1912 to 1920 the publishing house of Altenberg, Seyfarth, Wende, In 1927, the hotel was thoroughly renovated, a fifth floor from the southern side. In 1932 the Lesesaal and the restaurant were modernized according to Tadeusz Wróbel's project. During the Soviet regime from 1939 to 1941 and 1944 to 1990 it was under the administration of the Soviet travel agency and was named "Inturist".