Gustav-Mahler.eu

The monastery was founded together with the monastic Church of the Nativity of Virgin Mary on the high spit between the Želivka and Trnava rivers in the first half of the 12th century. Originally it was a residence of the Benedictine Order, but they were expelled early and replaced with Premonstratensians. One of them was later the very well-known Hussite preacher Jan Želivský too.

Monastery.

At the end of the 12th century the monastery in today's town Milevsko was staffed from this one. In 1420 and 1424 the monastery was captured and destroyed by the Hussites. It was partially reconstructed after this, in the middle of the century. The owners of the domain, the family of Trčka, built a new residence called Trčka's Castle in the precinct. The control of Premonstratensians was reinstated at the end of the 16th century. In the 17th century the monastery was rebuilt into the Baroque style (finished in 1688) by G. A. Maggi. After the fire in 1712 the buildings were reconstructed under the design of G. Santini and he rebuilt the church into the Baroque Gothic style. At the beginning of the 20th century the last modification of the monastery was in the Neo-Renaissance style.

Monastery.

The central building of the precinct is the Church of the Nativity of Virgin Mary. It adjoins with the originally Early-Baroque convent built between 1652 - 1688. The courtyard is enclosed between the former prelature (southern part) and the Trčka's Castle with a tower (northern part).

Monastery. Church of the Nativity of Virgin Mary.

Monastery. Church of the Nativity of Virgin Mary.

Monastery. Church of the Nativity of Virgin Mary.

Monastery. Church of the Nativity of Virgin Mary.