The census of 1847 showed a population of 66,046 Germans and 36,687 Czechs. Until 1861, a German mayor officiated. From then on, the number of Czech inhabitants increased rapidly due to the industrialization of the Prague suburbs. In the 1920s, the Czech population was about 600,000 citizens. The 30,000 Germans formed a small minority.
Economically, the second half of the 19th century brought a stormy upturn.
In the German population circle, a largely art and culture-conscious upper class, a busy club and club life had developed. The German Theater Association financed most of the Neues Deutsches Theater (State Opera). The actresses included Paula Wessely and fairy of Reichlin. The association "German House" managed the center of Deutschtum, the German House on the Graben.
The association "Urania" had a recognized educational institution in his house. The German craftsmen's association offered a secure accommodation to some German student associations in his house in Smetschkagasse.
The Schlaraffia - founded in Prague in 1859 "Urschlaraffia" - had in Stephansgasse a beautiful castle and led a varied club life (see als Schlaraffia Chasalla in Kassel). The men's singing club gave concerts and strengthened the theater choir.