Gustav-Mahler.eu

Main square.

Jihlava. Masarykovo namesti (Masarykovo square, Hauptplatz).

Jihlava. Masarykovo namesti (Masarykovo square, Hauptplatz).

Number 12. on the map is House Gustav Mahler Jihlava 1860-1872 (Znojemska street Nos. 4/1089, Pirnitzer Gasse No. 265).

1. Town hall

Reconstruction of the buildings of the Jihlava town hall No. 1 and 2 at Masaryk Square is a unique, demanding and comprehensive renovation of historically valuable buildings in the Municipal Conservation Area. This sensible reconstruction is an example of very good adaptation of layouts with complex shapes, modified many times in history for the purposes of a modern town hall of the 21st century. The individual premises of the four connected buildings have been sensibly adapted in such a way that each one serves a purpose and so that it has a uniform and representative character as a complex. Thanks to thorough archaeological works and restoration research, this difficult task was accomplished perfectly. The final reconstruction of the historical buildings of the Jihlava town hall offers a high standard of all solutions of interiors, exteriors and the technical facilities. The highlight is the big number of perfectly restored Gothic and Renaissance frescos, beamed and panel ceilings and humanistic inscriptions on heads of cross vaults in the unique four-nave hall of the town hall.

Jihlava. Masarykovo namesti (Masarykovo square, Hauptplatz).

2. Underground corridors

Jihlava's underground passages are a significant part of the town's ancient architecture. These catacombs, second in length in the CzechRepublic, after Znojmo, are situated directly below the old section of the town. Their total length is 25 km, covering an area of 50,000 sq. m. The multiple-level catacombs or corridors are cut into hard rock. They are found under almost all the houses in the historic center of Jihlava, which has been declared a municipal conservation area. The first level of the catacombs can be accessed from basements at about 2 to 4 meters below street level; the second level lies about 4 to 6 meters below street level. Under several houses, there even are third-level cellars situated 8 to 14 meters underground. The first-level corridors were built during the 14th century, the second and third-level corridors were added in the 16th century, and, finally, during the 17th century, some of the corridors were reinforced with brick foundations and the individual sections interconnected with a network of short corridors.

3. Church of St Ignatius of Loyola (Masarykovo square, Hauptplatz).

5. Gallery Vysocina

6. Museum Vysocina

7. Masaryk Square

The historical main square and a venue of city festivals. A dreadful socialist realism "Prior" shopping center was built in 1983 right in the middle of the square.

12. House Gustav Mahler Jihlava 1860-1872 (Znojemska street Nos. 4/1089, Pirnitzer Gasse No. 265).

21. Water fountain of Amphitrite

In 1797, two water fountains were built in the square, replacing two wooden water wells. The fountains are adorned with two sandstone sculptures of Antique gods - Neptune and Amphitrite, made by Jan Václav Prchal. The paving around the fountains dates back to the 19th century. The historic character of the town was disgracefully spoiled when a department store was built in the Town Square (completed in 1983). It replaced a group of houses which dated back to the end of the 13th century and probably were related to an ancient bondage privilege. Opposite Church of St James the Greater (Jakubske square, Sct. Jakob's Platz).

Jihlava. Masarykovo namesti (Masarykovo square, Hauptplatz).

22. Water fountain of Neptune

In 1797, two water fountains were built in the square, replacing two wooden water wells. The fountains are adorned with two sandstone sculptures of Antique gods - Neptune and Amphitrite, made by Jan Václav Prchal. The paving around the fountains dates back to the 19th century. The historic character of the town was disgracefully spoiled when a department store was built in the Town Square (completed in 1983). It replaced a group of houses which dated back to the end of the 13th century and probably were related to an ancient bondage privilege. Opposite Town hall.

Jihlava. Masarykovo namesti (Masarykovo square, Hauptplatz).

23 Plague column

Built in 1690, as an expression of gratitude for sparing the town from the plague. An execution place and, later, a pillory stood in its place in the Middle Ages. Very close to the plague column is a plaque commemorating Evzen Plocek who burned himself to death in 1969 in protest of the Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia.

Jihlava. Masarykovo namesti (Masarykovo square, Hauptplatz). Plague column and Town hall (left)

1880. Jihlava. Masarykovo namesti (Masarykovo square, Hauptplatz). Plague column.

Jihlava. Masarykovo namesti (Masarykovo square, Hauptplatz). Plague column (detail).

Share this article with:

Submit to FacebookSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn