Constructed in 1885 as the home of the 74th Infantry, the armory became vacant in 1899 when the 74th moved into its new home, the Connecticut Street Armory. The city of Buffalo acquired the building and eventually officially named it the Elmwood Music Hall. The Elmwood Music Hall, (originally The 74th Regiment armory and City Convention Hall) at the Corner of Virginia and Elmwood (1868-1938). During the first decades of the 20th century, the Elmwood Music Hall was Buffalo’s top convention, speech-making, and musical concert space. It was also a popular site for sporting events like boxing and high school basketball.
The New York Philharmonic Orchestra (NYPO/NPO) makes its first appearance in Buffalo at the Convention Hall under the direction of Gustav Mahler in 1910.