- Profession: Poet, playwright.
- Residences: Vienna.
- Relation to Mahler:
- Correspondence with Mahler:
- Born: 01-11-1874 Landstrasse, Vienna, Austria.
- Address 1902: III, Salesianergasse 12, Vienna, Austria.
- Died: 15-07-1929 Rodaun, Liesing, Austria.
- Buried: Kalkburg cemetery, Vienna, Austria. Grave E-1-49.
Hugo Laurenz August Hofmann von Hofmannsthal was an Austrian novelist, librettist, poet, dramatist, narrator, and essayist. Hofmannsthal was born in Landstrasse, Vienna, the son of an upper-class Austrian mother, Anna Maria Josefa Fohleutner (1852–1904), and an Austrian–Italian bank manager, Hugo August Peter Hofmann, Edler von Hofmannsthal (1841–1915). His great-grandfather, Isaak Löw Hofmann, Edler von Hofmannsthal, from whom his family inherited the noble title "Edler von Hofmannsthal," was a Jewish merchant ennobled by the Austrian emperor.
He began to write poems and plays from an early age. He met the German poet Stefan George at the age of seventeen and had several poems published in George's journal, Blätter für die Kunst. He studied law and later philology in Vienna but decided to devote himself to writing upon graduating in 1901. Along with Peter Altenberg and Arthur Schnitzler, he was a member of the avant garde group Young Vienna (Jung Wien).